Cell Valley Labs is a lab and business co-working space housed within Wild Earth, Inc. in Berkeley, CA. Cell Vally Labs currently hosts 10 start-up tenant companies, most of which innovate in plant-based food-tech. CVL consists of multiple lab and office spaces, all built and managed to support the research and development goals of the tenant companies.
The Lab & Facilities Manager will ensure the tenants at CVL can work effectively with day-to-day support for crucial services and equipment. This person will be expected to:
- Effectively interface between tenants & property managers to plan and complete renovations or equipment upgrade projects.
- Maintain a culture of safety lab safety enforcement and proper emergency planning. (i.e. ensuring proper chemical storage, testing eyewashes, stocking PPE and cleaning supplies, enforcing PPE expectations, writing and updating SOPS for common equipment, etc.)
- Assist lab tenants with lab-based regulatory and compliance obligations. (i.e. assist with CERS reporting, federal EPA reporting, lab chemical inventories, etc.)
- Ensure facilities are in good working order. Fix things directly when time and skills allow, or submit work orders through building management when problems demand more attention.
- Maintain a list of shared equipment and tools. Track and perform all necessary preventative maintenance, or arrange for a vendor to do so.
- Coordinate with various vendors to provide water, cleaning, waste management, wifi, catering, and other utility services.
- Organize service plans that maximize value return to tenants while also maximizing revenue for CVL to grow and expand its member base.
- Scout for opportunities to grow and expand CVL's service offerings.
- Actively market and engage with prospective tenants. Give tours and work out potential tenancy agreements.
- Onboard and offboard companies as needed, making sure to update access permissions and security portals.
- Build community and engagement by organizing events and other bio-tech/food-tech outreach and enrichment opportunities.
- Manage and update the community section of the CVL website (squarespace)
- 3-5 years of experience in facilities/lab management
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to create and maintain excellent working relationships
- Passion for innovation and process improvement and have a keen interest in learning, adopting, and implementing best modern tools, processes, and practices
- Effective time management demonstrated by efficient preparation, scheduling, prioritization, and an understanding of appropriate delegation of duties
- Strong project management skills
- Excited to work in a mission-motivated environment
We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization. We envision a team that not only reflects the demographics of our country but also continues to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our audiences.
Wild Earth is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.